Gorilla Organization



Lgwoi.jpg

The Gorilla Organization, the international charity led by experienced African conservationists dedicated to saving the world’s last remaining gorillas from extinction. Our award-winning community-based approach to conservation promotes sustainable livelihoods, nurtures young conservationists of the future and empowers local people to tackle the main threats to the gorillas’ survival.

UK Reg Charity 1117131

Saturday 5 February 2011

Day 128 - Am I the Missing Link?

I have to stop doing some of these races, as the cupboard is filling with race t-shirts. Today was 'TuffMan' the  final part of the ASICS 'Off-Road' series an 8km race in the middle of East Sussex (aka miles from home and an early start on a Saturday again).

I've enjoyed the series of races organised by the 'Human Race' and normally I grab a photo of me wearing part of a gorilla costume, then change back for race; today however I decided to run as a gorilla for the whole event (did I mention it was cross-country?)
Before the race, full-on Gerald
What gorilla? I don't see any gorilla
The weather was on my side to start off with, as it was a bit blowy and drizzly, and lots of comments like 'must be warm in there...' etc. As the race went on though it got a bit tricker as the mud/drizzle started to attach to the suit, and it did get a bit warmer.

On the first lap though I slipped and fell (first time ever in any event). I had taken the gorilla head off at the time to help with the airflow - so it wasn't a 'wardrobe malfunction' just mud. The fall was not too bad but shook me slightly.

Nearly done ....

Phew - finished
The response from all the other runners was great - they were so supportive  for the guy running in a gorilla suit and this really helped - thanks all!

No comments:

Post a Comment